Monday, August 29, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: The Wednesday Wars


I usually refuse to do book reviews. I'm even reluctant to properly use GoodReads as it's intended: a review site for all. Why?

Two reasons.

1) As an author, people actually want to know what you think about other people's books. Some of those people are other authors. Some of those people you know - including the author. If you really said what you thought about a particular book you'd hear about it, particularly if it was nasty - and honestly, do you really want to give every book 4 or 5 stars, just to keep the peace? It's simply not fair. And it's not very nice the other way, either.

2) I don't find many books I love with enough of a passion to review.

I'm happy to say that THE WEDNESDAY WARS by Gary Schmidt makes 1) obsolete - because this is a 5, shoot, a 20 - and 2) I love love love this book. Love.

Other people did, too - it got a Newberry!

On paper, it's not much. Shakespeare. A kid who's convinced his 7th grade english teacher hates him. A regular semester with regular friends and regular problems.

But it's so, so much more. This is an AUTHENTIC boy's book. The voice is spot on. The situations Holling (I know, awesome name, right?) finds himself in are believable - and any kid reading will recognize them, too. The subplots are fantastic and resolve in a satisfactory manner (a sore point with me). And while the plot was there, oh so cleverly there, this book relied on character. This baby hit a home run on character.

Honestly. Guys, this one is tremendous. Give it a shot, and come back here and tell me what you think.

To Gary Schmidt: Dude, I don't know you. But whenever I'm in the US and you're up for it...coffee? *fangirl*

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, and the enthusiastic endorsement--you've convinced me to put Wednesday Wars at the top of my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting it on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't review books either, I just recommend the ones I love. I'll leave the reviews to the critics.

    This one sounds great, thanks, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I am always looking for a great boys book, so defiantly adding it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, this looks great and I really LOVE the cover--perfect for MG.

    I hate "reviewing" books. If I really don't like something, I keep it to myself. I know how hard writing is and every book has value, even the ones I don't like! I agree with Matt, leave it to the professionals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this one too. So much.

    Okay for Now, the kind of companion, is fine too, but doesn't ring as goldenly, as it were, for me as The Wednesday Wars does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have The Wednesday Wars on my TBR list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I not know about this book? Adding it to my TBR list now. Thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book, too, and listened to it on CD. Good stuff, especially those cream puffs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to grab this one--I feel the same way about reviewing, too, BTW.

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!