Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Quotes That Changed You by Hilary Wagner




Have you ever read a book when you were a child and loved it? Then, when you're all grownup, you reach for that book again, and after reading it, your reasons for loving that book are not only solidified, but made much clearer? You realize why, as a child, that book touched you in such a profound way. Some quotes made you laugh, some quotes made you smile, while others simply made you think.

One of those wonderful things about children's books are those life changing quotes that stick with us through adulthood. "You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." This wonderful quote from Lewis Carroll got me through those awkward years in life. I understood that fitting in isn't always what it's cracked up to be. Now, older, I hope I never fit in. ;)

Here are some of my most favorite quotes from my most beloved books. They helped me not only love books as a child, but think more of myself, who I wanted to be, and what amazing things I might be capable of.

What are some of your favorite quotes? Have you read any new books lately that wowed you with their own original quotes? Please share. And speaking of bonkers, most of us Mayhemers are slightly bonkers ourselves...we won't judge you. :)


"The greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." 
― Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"Birdbrain, thought Mrs. Frisby, and then recalled what her husband used to say: The size of the brain is no measure of its capacity. And well she might recall it, for the crow's head was double the size of her own" 
― Robert C. O'Brien, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him." 
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

"Trust me, Wilbur. People are very gullible. They'll believe anything they see in print." 
― E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

"No animal, according to the rules of animal-etiquette, is ever expected to do anything strenuous, or heroic, or even moderately active during the off-season of winter." 
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

"So many things are possible just as long as you don't know they're impossible." 
― Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth 

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
― A. A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh





5 comments:

  1. These are wonderful quotes! My favorite Tolkien one's are probably:

    "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost ..."

    Or, “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

    For Dahl, I love:

    “Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”

    “I was glad my father was an eye-smiler. It meant he never gave me a fake smile because it's impossible to make your eyes twinkle if you aren't feeling twinkly yourself. A mouth-smile is different. You can fake a mouth-smile any time you want, simply by moving your lips. I've also learned that a real mouth-smile always has an eye-smile to go with it. So watch out, I say, when someone smiles at you but his eyes stay the same. It's sure to be a phony.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some authors you could just list quote after amazing quote. Tolkien and Dahl absolutely shine in this regard! :)

      Delete
  2. Some great quotes here, Hilary. Charlotte's Web ranks as one of my all-time faves, and this quote is my fave in it: "Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I almost put that one up too! Great minds think alike! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes! Michael beat me to it! That is my favorite one as well.

      Delete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!