Thursday, December 1, 2016

When the Dog Bites by Jim Hill


"When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorites things
And then I don't feel so bad."

It's been a tough month for all things positivity, so as we kick off a new month (rabbit rabbit), maybe it's time to make a list of some of my favorite things, with a (mostly) middle-grade twist.

Some Books:

Milicent Min Girl Genius
One Crazy Summer
8th Grade Super Zero
Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
The Chronicles of Prydain
Raymie Nightingale
Wolf Hollow
The Summer of the Gypsy Moths
Cosmic

Some Things for Listening:

The Yarn
The Writers Panel John Green Interview
Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert interview with Neil Gaiman


Some Things for Which to Look Forward:

The Danger Gang and the Pirates of Borneo! by Stephen Bramucci
14 Hollow Road by Jenn Bishop
Vampires on the Run: A Quinnie Boyd Mystery by C.M. Surrisi
Aftercare Instructions by Bonnie Pipkin (YA, not MG)

The Anticipation of Potter:

I'm about to begin reading Harry Potter to my eight-and-eleven-twelfths-year-old. My wife and I haven't allowed him to watch the movies (such hardship!), and our practice is to read only a chapter or two of whatever book is on tap. With Harry and all things Hogwarts, I fully expect he's going to race ahead between bedtimes and devour the series. We may need multiple copies to keep everyone on the *ahem* same page.

A Reminder from Robin (and Lin):

Even when the world is bleakish, words will set you free. I'll write my way out. You will too.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving us all some things to look forward to, and for improving my mood in general.

    We also have the "no watching the HP movies until the books are read" rule in our house. That allows everything to be developmentally appropriate. Currently on Book 4 with the 10-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way to do it. We made an exception for The Fantastic Beasts movie since it wouldn't touch on Harry & Co.

      Delete
  2. We all need our own lists like this. I am clinging desperately to my high fantasies and regency romances. Pretty pretty books, take me away please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely must read the books first before the movie or all is doomed! LOL. Love your list here. My feel-good series to re-read is the Little House books, reminds me of childhood and makes me long for adventure in a new place. A fave book to read at the holidays is The Children of Green Knowe by L.M. Boston, about a boy who travels to stay with his great grandmother during Christmas in an old English castle that is haunted. Makes me feel magical! Now, back to writing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!