Thursday, July 12, 2018

TRAVELING THE WORLD THROUGH BOOKS, by Hilda Eunice Burgos



It’s the middle of summer vacation, and many families take this opportunity to visit new places with their children.  What better way to learn about the world than to see it firsthand?  Unfortunately, that is not in everyone’s budget or schedule.  My family did not take many trips when I was a child, but the local public library was right down the street.  As a result, I did a lot of “traveling” during my summer breaks, and I continue to see the world through books.

This year alone I experienced a Palestinian wedding in the Middle East through Randa Abdel-Fattah’s moving book, Where the Streets Had a Name, I visited Frida Kahlo’s home in Mexico with the exciting Me, Frida, and the Secret of the Peacock Ring, by Angela Cervantes, and I saw the heart of Cuba when I read Margarita Engle’s lyrical Forest World. 





These are just a few examples of the wonderful middle grade books that take us outside of our country and help expand our minds and awareness.  Let’s encourage our kids to step into a book and travel the world.  Does anyone have additional recommendations?

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes when I plan for a trip, I look at travel guides with lots of pictures that make me feel like I'm at that place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!