Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Why we network

Yo! Hey all. *waves* It's me, Yahong. So if you hang around Twitter, you might've heard me saying (well, wailing my eyes out, really) that I had no idea what to do for my first post. I decided to tread on safe, familiar ground for this time 'round--social networking.

It's been said that all writers need blogs. That Twitter is essential for reaching other writers. That Facebook is a must-have since that's where our audience is. And all that is true--but sometimes social networking just feels like a chore.


But hey, it doesn't have to be! (Why do you think teens spend so much time on Facebook, hmm?) Check out some reasons why socializing online is fun.




  • Getting to know others. Believe me, that feeling when you realize you're not the only one slogging through this dream? Brilliant. It's a whole community you're linking up to out there on the Web.


  • Support goes both ways. Retweet that brilliant post by your newfound friend today, and tomorrow, when your newly-launched blog wilts by itself, that new friend just might bring along a whole slew of readers.


  • It's educational. How could you have known that AgentLadyX liked her queries to start with a comparison if it weren't for a link shared on Facebook?


  • It's fun and friendly. Chatting casually with others can be a great way to end the day. As C. S. Lewis said, "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one'."


See why Twitter, Facebook, etc. can be so addicting? All these good reasons! :)



What do you enjoy most about social networking?

16 comments:

  1. Great post, Yahong. I am able to read this during the day because I have a snow day! In March. The perks of being a teacher. I agree that these social media outlets help writers, especially new writers like me. I subscribe to all but the Facebook one. That one is the one that feels like a task to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michael! (Wish I had that snow day... as a student, though. ;P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. I love the camaraderie of the community. Sometimes being able to step away and chat with people who are going through exactly what you are is just what you need to get out of a funk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so true, Tracey, especially being "just what you need to get out of a funk"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the supportive writing community that I found through blogging and continue through facebook and Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Yahong. It's nice to remember that social networking doesn't have to be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly - the community is wonderful, isn't it?

    Alicia - thank you! That kind of reminder is nice, yes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The children's writers community is such a fabulous one. How lucky we are to have so many online avenues of connecting with one another :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very happy to find this blog. I have a special place in my heart for MG and love seeing blogs devoted to them!

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dawn - I completely agree. <3

    Angela - glad you love MG just as much as we do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girly! Go you! (: You've got a knack for social networking, just throwing that one out there. Good post, good post indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, great post Yahong :) totally agree with everything, though I'm considering throwing in "procrastination tactic" to that list xD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glenna, thank you thank you thank you! <3
    Caroline -- GASP! Don't worry, we won't hold it against you... very much. :D
    Audrey -- hahaha, very true. Thank you for swinging by! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. :) I'm enjoying being blissfully unaware.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that Lewis quote!

    I'm getting my social networking legs these days. Facebook is fun. Twitter and I are skeptical strangers. And some days I love discovering new blogs. Other days it just feels like too much homework. Ha! Baby steps, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!