Thursday, October 23, 2014

Famous Last Words and a Contest! by Hilary Wagner





I'm a big fan of the one liner. You know, those great lines that kick off a novel or those succinct last sentences that wrap of a book so seamlessly? That said, I thought it would be fun to have a contest and to the winner goes the spoils! You'll receive 5 brand new middle-grade books delivered to your door! 

Now, maybe I'm just not as smart as the rest of you, but I think it would be really, really hard to guess many of the first or last lines of even some famous middle-grade books. So, I'm throwing down the gauntlet. The reader who can guess the most titles that match each line wins! 



All the above said, us Mayhemers are going to have to trust you. Please, no Googling, or Binging, or Yahooing, or anything that ends in an ING that would be classified as searching on the web for the answers. We must hold you to your scout's honor and your love of middle-grade books. You don't have to know them all, we're just looking for the person who can answer the most! Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor! (Okay, that's YA, but gee, what book did I pull that line from?)



Please do not answer in the comments for obvious reasons! See the email address below! Now go on and try your luck at these 10 one-liners!

1. Across the lawn came the Master of Misselthwaite and he looked as many of them had never seen him. And by his, side with his head up in the air and his eyes full of laughter walked as strongly and steadily as any boy in Yorkshire— Master Colin.

2. All that could be seen from its woolen folds was the baby’s snow-white nose.

3. And pushed the button.

4. Shaking crumbs from her hair, Em leaped to her feet. “You’d better run, Matt Calder, ’cos special or not, I’m going to kill you!”

5. I asked Argus to take me down to cabin three, so I could pack my bags for home.

6. “Faith, sir,” replied the storyteller, “as to that matter, I don't believe one-half of it myself.”

7. She began to untie it.

8. Now Rann the Kite brings home the night That Mang the Bat sets free— The herds are shut in byre and hut For loosed till dawn are we.

9. “Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!”

10. The end of the world started when a Pegasus landed on the hood of my car.

Now remember, don't answer in the comments. Please email us the answers to projectmayhem@gmx.com, Subject: Famous Last Words. Please be sure to include the subject so we don't miss your entry! Contest ends October 25th at 12PM CST and winner will be announced next week and contacted via email.

GOOD LUCK! 

6 comments:

  1. Golly, these are hard. I don't think I'd get any without web-searching...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be very hard pressed to get any of these without searching. I think I have a guess for one. Now I'm curious though, fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if you think you might get only one, guess away and send your answers! You NEVER know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only get two, I think. What a fun idea Hilary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm stumped. Or maybe I need more coffee. And a trip to the library because CLEARLY I have to read more books.

    Well done, Hillary!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!