Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Books Are For Kids?




What the Dormouse Said:
Lessons for Grown-ups from Children’s Books

  – collected by Amy Gash



Hopefully you love it already, just from the title. Curious? Good.

This charming book is full of wise snippets from classics like Little House on the Prairie, Sounder, Winnie the Pooh, and Charlotte’s Web. The back cover describes it as, “Wisdom and Whimsy from Harry Potter to Beatrix Potter.”

My favorite bit of praise for this little gem came from the "Colorado Springs Independent":

“The perfect gift for your sister, your mother, your brother, your nephew, your kid’s teacher, your daughter away at college, your son in the Navy, your mailman, your priest, for the old lady next door or for the baby just born. Most importantly, give it to yourself. It will help you remember why you loved reading in the first place.”

Amy Gash has collected and organized children's book quotations dealing with everything from faith and courage to character and individuality, from love and friendship to family woes. As writers of children’s literature, we can all benefit from what is to be found within its pages. I highly recommend it as a book every writer should own.


“Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.” ~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, 1943 
  
What grown-up lessons have YOU learned
 from children's books?


9 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea! I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one exciting book. Perfect for those of us on a constant mission to prove to the adults we know that children's books are for them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we ever wonder about our influence, let me report that a 5th-grade teacher at my sons' school told me yesterday that she follows PM and that she went ahead and bought this book for her classroom. (She also thought I wrote all the posts. Set her straight on that one. I may be ubiquitous, but I'm not that brilliant!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool! Michael, you're close enough to that brilliant. :)

      I have to say I occasionally run posts at my blog called Wisdom From..., where I share quotes from books that have spoken to me. Many are, of course, from MG titles.

      Delete
    2. That is so cool, Michael--thanks for sharing it! And of course you are that brilliant!! :)

      Delete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!