Monday, August 11, 2014

This counts as "writing", right?, by: Marissa Burt


http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2014/07/27
I can end this post right here, yes? I think all writers have to resonate with this on some level, because writing requires self-motivation from a group of people who are often easily distracted by imaginary worlds, let alone all the interesting things right there in front of us.  While there is something to be said for sitting down and eking the words out through sheer force of will, I'm beginning to let go of the drivenness that says every writing-moment must equal words on a page.

Matt's earlier post about being okay with not writing every day was spot on, and I'm going to springboard off that and say that sometimes things that have absolutely nothing to do with writing are useful for building creativity. No, this is not a weak attempt to justify my ridiculous fondness for Candy Crush, but I do think mindless indulgences - whether it's frittering away a few minutes online or daydreaming out the window - do something for our creativity.

It's like how I stop to do a few stretches after I've been hunched over my laptop for an hour. My body needs a break and a reset. Why do I begrudge my mind the same?

So I'm learning to factor wasting time into my writing time. If I have a whole four hours to write, I've come to accept that about 30% of that will evaporate into research rabbit-trails and a quick visit to facebook and another trip to the pantry.

All that being said the ability to focus in and really get lost in the world varies with the stage of the manuscript. I squander writing time frivolously during the first draft, but as I reach the end of the manuscript, I find it difficult to even stop for lunch, and if a brilliant plot twist strikes, all bets are off.

What about you? What do you do to reset your creativity? And 'fess up, Mayhemers, what are your secret time-wasting indulgences?

10 comments:

  1. I am off task way more than 30% of the time during a first draft -- until, as you said, I reach the climax, when I cannot stop writing. I am much more focused when doing revisions, editing, and polishing.

    I do believe creativity is fueled by some of that off task behavior. Repeated mental water cooler breaks help get the job done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Dianne! I can really focus in during revisions and edits - maybe because it seems more task-oriented than wide-open creative work.

      Delete
  2. Getting the time to work is struggle #1 for me, using it wisely is struggle #2. I'm a facebook time-waster big time. I just installed this free app called SelfControl (oh, the irony) that lets you blacklist certain websites and then set time periods up to 24 hours when you can't look at them. If I'm going to rabbit hole, I'd rather it be with something that's better fodder for the imagination. But I agree that the student in me would have a hugely hard time writing without wikipedia, online dictionaries, and access to reasearch. And stumbling around with that is worthy non-writing time. Love this post, M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But is there a password to over-ride SelfControl? That would be the end of it for me. I'd lean in for a few hours and then be like: but I really NEED to check X, Y, or Z, and I've been so productive, and (insert rationalizations here), and then: facebook timewarp. ;)

      I agree - a fair amount of stumbling feels almost necessary for figuring out the direction you're going.

      Delete
    2. There is no override and the timer will still go on even if you delete SelfControl off your computer! It's rock solid.

      Delete
    3. Ah, they know our procrastinating ways well. :) I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the rec!

      Delete
  3. Yup, internet time-waster fessing up here. (My app that bumps me off social media sites is Cold Turkey.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does Cold Turkey give you a set time limit or something? I might have to check that out. The only thing that saves me with my fav - Candy Crush - is that there's a limit to how many turns you get each time.

      Delete
    2. You choose how long you want to be off the major social networking sites and e-mail. You can still check wikipedia and other sites if you want to do research (and blogs like Project Mayhem, unless you flag them in the initial Cold Turkey setup.)

      Delete
    3. Oh, that sounds interesting. I will have to check that out if my mindlessness gets too bad.

      Delete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!