Tuesday, October 29, 2013

ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF STEAMPUNK by eden unger bowditch




I had never heard of steampunk before I wrote the first Young Inventors Guild book, The Atomic Weight of Secrets… The cover artist, Steve Parke, said he loved steampunk novels. I had no idea what he meant! Alternative history, Victorian sci-fi, turn-of-the-century invention fiction – that’s how steampunk is often described. Since the Young Inventors Guild books take place around 1903/1904 and are science and invention driven alternative history-type of stories I quickly learned about steampunk! There is some fabulous steampunk MG/YA and older steampunk literature out there. I was invited to be on a steampunk panel of authors at the Baltimore Book Festival a couple years ago with Matt Kirby, Kelly Link, and Gavin Grant. It was an honour to share a stage with them and to learn more about this remarkable genre.



In October I was invited to participate in the International Steampunk Convention in Morristown, NJ and present The Ravens of Solemano… the Young Inventors Guild Book 2. IT WAS AMAZING!!! So many people in fabulous Victorian dress, with inventions and contraptions. Kids of all ages in tophats and waistcoats. And lots of physicists and inventors with much to show. I met a professor from Sarah Lawrence who teaches a course in steampunk physics and invention. There was even a pair of automatons!

Discovering a community that embraces the ideas in your writing is quite wonderful. It was exciting and invigorating to be around so many brilliant minds. I even learned more about the inventions I configured in the books! It was really lovely and definitely food for thought as I move ahead with Book 3.

10 comments:

  1. I love that you didn't know of steampunk before your first book published and from there you were invited to the International Steampunk Convention! Do you know Suzanne Lazear? She's a YA steampunk author (a 2k12 friend of mine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Suzanne Lazear, but she looks amazing. Thanks, Caroline!

      Delete
  2. There was a great panel at WorldCon 2013 about whether Steampunk is a genre or simply an aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! It is DEFINITELY an aesthetic, but I have discovered some tell-tale markers (automatons, airships, inventions, etc) that are present in almost all steampunk fiction. I'd say both genre and aesthetic.

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful--and like Caroline, I loved that you hadn't even heard of the genre that you wrote. (Now you're a brilliant mind, joined with other brilliant minds!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your generosity knows no bounds, Michael! Though my ignorance astounds me, every day, about almost everything!

      Delete
  4. Just this Halloween I was thinking about how I want to make a Victorian-steampunkish costume and wear it every year. I love the idea of readers all dressing up together - sounds like a cool convention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Marissa. It always looks cool. I was glad to have a derby and goggles on hand when I needed a costume in a hurry.

      Delete
  5. You had me at steampunk! I cannot wait to read your first two Young Inventors Guild books! It really is a fascinating genre that opens the door wide for adventure and innovation. And what fun, immersing yourself in that genre. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so cool, Joe. Finding a place for your stuff is a thrill. Plus, who doesn't like inventions and adventures, let alone tophats and corsets?

      Delete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!