Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Hooking the hard-to-hook




I’ve spent the bulk of my educational career working with reluctant and struggling readers. (See my post here for details on ways to engage these students.)

When you have a double dose of challenge, i.e. a student who both doesn’t like to read and is also several grade-levels behind in-terms-of reading skills, your options for connecting that student to the “right” book narrow considerably.

I’m talking about the junior high and early high school students who put their heads down or act out or walk out instead of giving a book a try. Some of these students might also have identified learning disabilities, but many do not. What they have all had are multiple negative experiences with reading, whether self-created in the most supportive print-rich homes and classrooms or not.

I don’t remember exactly how I discovered the Bluford Series, but when I did it started several of my most reluctant and challenged readers down the path of literacy. I love it when older students say, “that’s the first book I’ve ever read” and suddenly reading time isn’t torture anymore.




The Bluford Series is a collection of twenty high-interest novels that have captivated teens nationwide. Set in fictional Bluford High, a tough but nurturing inner city high school, the novels speak to the interests, struggles, and concerns of today’s 5th–10th graders. Praised by faculty, parents, and students alike, the Bluford Series has transformed entire classrooms into reading zones. A frequent choice for school- and city-wide reading initiatives, the series has been widely reviewed in the Journal for Adolescent and Adult Literacy (JAAL) and repeatedly endorsed by the American Library Association (ALA) and the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA).

Over the years I’ve used the Bluford Series novels for whole class, small group and individual reading.

Even though it is called a series, you don’t have to read these books in any order. Characters overlap between stories. A minor character in one story may be the narrator in another book.



  
What I LOVE about the Bluford Series is that the stories are complex with well-developed characters while also being accessible to struggling readers. They are not little kids’ books; instead, they are mature stories that older students connect with but are written at fifth and sixth grade reading levels. ALA, YALSA and KIRKUS have all given these books positive reviews.

These novels cost one dollar each. Yes, just a dollar!!! And, Townsend Press will send you three free sample copies to try out.

Thanks for stopping. If you have favorite books that hook the hard-to-hook I’d love to hear about them in the comments below.


11 comments:

  1. I am trying out the Bluford series GoReader with a reluctant reader. It comes with a player so they can hear the words being read. Just started yesterday so we'll see how it goes. I usually look to graphic novels or comic books to get a reluctant reader to at least be reading something,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Greg. I've used Graphic Novels as well--mostly with younger students. And with older kids with low reading levels, (The Bully is my favorite Bluford Series book.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound like an excellent resource!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Matt. I've seen some success the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post, Paul, and you're right--this series is a fantastic hook! I read The Bully aloud to my students every year. One year, the kids actually clapped and cheered when we finished. They were all well below grade level readers. LOVE this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bully is my favorite. I've used it with my classes too! :-)

      Delete
  6. I have not heard of these, but my middle son (5th grade) is a fairly reluctant reader, so I may try them out on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! It's always good to have choices.

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of these either. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish there were more series like this. When I worked for B&N, this was my recommended series for high schools that needed material for their reluctant readers. The subject/reading level is balanced just perfectly for kids who get frustrated reading other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. I think it great that you were recommending the Bluford Series. Another Series that I've used for reluctant readers is Orca Soundings from Orca Books. http://www.orcabook.com/client/client_pages/Orca_Soundings_Info.cfm

      Delete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!