Sunday, October 27, 2013

What is in an Editorial Letter?, by: Marissa Burt

Last month I was wading through the first draft of my new project, and now I'm neck deep in revision notes.  I just received my editorial letter from my wonderful editor Erica Sussman about my next book, which is now officially titled A SLIVER OF STARDUST.

Several Mayhemers have written fabulous posts on revising a manuscript (check out what Paul, Matthew, Dee, and Tracy have to say - outstanding advice all around), and I thought to focus this post on the editorial letter.  During the publishing process, authors typically receive several of these, depending on how many revisions your manuscript needs.  As with so many things in this industry, there's no set way to do this, and the level of interaction really stems from the unique relationship between writer and editor, but the general idea is that after you submit your first draft, your editor reads through it and sends you broad editorial notes.

Typically, these have to do with what isn't quite working in the story, gaping plot holes, weak character development, or things that might feel derivative.  Editor Erica, is definitely an encourager, so she sandwiches everything between an opening and closing that includes what she liked about the story and then tosses out lots of different ideas to help me brainstorm.

I'll translate her letter for you in abbreviated form here:

Opening paragraph: Hooray!  This is what I love about the book!

Segue: We've got some work to do.  Here's what I'd like you to broadly focus on.  Smiley faces included to make me feel better.  And they remarkably do.  :)

Subheading: PLOT STRUCTURE - Here's what isn't working with the timeline, the stakes, the setting, or the placement of characters.  She also might include a few chapter-by-chapter notes here.

Subheading: PLOT ELEMENTS: Since I write fantasy, a lot of this has to do with world-building, magic, or character motivation.  Perhaps Erica might point out what isn't quite working, what's inconsistent or confusing, and offer suggestions on how to unknot tortured plot points.  For me, this is always by far the biggest segment, because I draft more as pants-er, which leaves a lot of tangled world-building for the revision stage.

Subheading: CHARACTER BY CHARACTER notes: Here is where Erica will address inconsistencies with the main characters and areas where development is weak.

The deadline: It's always too much time (plenty of room to procrastinate), and never enough (I will be panicking mid-November).


Several years ago, when I received my first editorial letter, I was completely overwhelmed, because it felt like there were so many flaws in my book!  How had I never seen them before?  And seeing that my work needed so much revision was a bit demoralizing.  But these days, I'm eager to get that letter.

Now, when I've finished a first draft, I know it's not finished yet.  I am confident that there are loose threads and plot holes and character inconsistencies and all the rest, but I'm usually too close in to the project to identify them.  This is why I think it is so important for an author to really welcome constructive criticism from those with editorial skills, whether that be someone formally editing your project or a crit partner.  And the best editors don't tell you what to do, they just highlight the problems you have.

My recommendation is that when you first get editorial notes from anyone you've asked for input, sit with them awhile.  Read through their thoughts, let the ideas soak, but don't start deleting immediately. After a few days revisit the comments, and you'll be surprised at how much easier it is to move past any hidden stings in the critique and really see the weak areas in your story.  And then, get to it.  My favorite method of revision is a ruthless one.  You can save everything you cut into an empty word document in case you revisit it later, but I doubt you will.  Instead, surprise yourself with where the story takes you.

What do you think, readers?  What was the best editorial advice you received?  Your first impressions on getting an editorial letter?

And now I should probably take my own advice.  Back to the revision table.  See you in November.

12 comments:

  1. I love the photo, Marissa!! Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I won't tell you how many tries it took to get one. No cell-phone equals impossible positions negotiating the laptop camera.

      Delete
  2. Excellent breakdown of the editorial letter, Marissa! I especially love the part about the interspersed smiley faces to make you feel better. Editors DO understand that they are giving you a LOT of work and asking you to make massive changes in something you put your soul into.

    So far, I have always been ridiculously happy with the book that evolves from the editor-writer process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I definitely feel like the collaborative nature of the process goes a long way to improving the story.

      Delete
  3. Hah! That photo is awesome. The toughest part of feedback is seeing it for what it is: constructive. It can sting a bit at first, but the whole point is to improve the story.

    Great post, Marissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Having a sense of humor helps with getting past the sting of it. Sometimes the plot holes or whatever are so ridiculous you feel like: how did I miss that? And then sometimes it just plain stings. But always worth it. Good editors/crit partners are priceless.

      Delete
  4. I love the way editors are these behind-the-scenes geniuses that make our work shine. I'll say, though, that before the end of the first editorial letter read through, I've already glazed over. So much information and so much work required! But, bit by bit, I can process it (usually while walking the dog).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Doing the dishes is when I can mull it over in my head. :) Translates all that my-manuscript-is-a-mess energy to putting the kitchen back in order.

      Delete
  5. Love this behind the scenes look at the next step of the publishing process. (But when I hear about these voluminous editorial letters I always wonder why they took the book on in the first place. i guess editors are really good at spotting potential!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Thank goodness they are able to see past all the really rough spots!

      Delete
  6. Now I keep picturing the editors like the Great and Powerful Oz, pulling levers and pushing buttons, sewing seeds of magical awesomeness that inspire writers to find the best of their ability and craft and put it into the revision.Great Post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Yes, I was overwhelmed with my first editorial letter and I kept thinking, "She did like the book, right?" LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!