Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Writing a Middle Grade Series by Dianne K. Salerni

There are a lot of things nobody told me about writing a middle grade series. NOT that I would have passed on the opportunity if I’d known, but sometimes, it’s good to know what you’re getting into!

At first, things moved at the normal pace of publishing. (Think: glacier.) Shortly after the contract, the editor who acquired my book and two sequels retired. It took several months for the publisher to assign me a new editor, and I had plenty of time to write the second book and even revise it a couple times – all while working the day job.

When my new editor sent me her revise letter last spring, we had several intense weeks, but still managed to turn the book in for copy-editing on time at the end of June. Since I’d already written the second book, I had the opportunity to tweak details in the first book to set things up for #2. Summer vacation arrived; I was off school and spent my time leisurely revising Book 2 and pondering Book 3. I turned in the second book in August and started working on the third, naively believing I would get it done before I needed to look at #2 again.

That didn’t happen. I went back to work in September and was almost immediately hit with: a) the galleys of Book 1 for review and b) an edit letter for Book 2. I’d only made it halfway through Book 3 – and was struggling with it – when suddenly I had to find time to work on three books simultaneously, while still keeping up with my full time teaching job.

There may have been a small panic attack at this point. Unlike Jax, my main character, I did NOT have an extra, secret day of the week to get this done!

I had to parcel out my time selectively. Book 3, which isn’t due to my editor until next April, was the first thing I cut from my schedule. I wasn’t going to have the luxury of completing it before revising Book 2. I closed that document on my desk top.

That was a big thing for me.

Then I took on the proof-reading. Reading your own work printed up all pretty is a lot more fun than revising. I read the galleys, beginning to end, and laid them aside.

Next, I accepted that Book 2 needed a new first chapter based on my editor’s excellent notes. I wrote it and revised/polished/revised/polished until it looked halfway decent.

Then I returned to the galleys of Book 1, read completely through them a second time and MAILED THEM BACK. That’s it. My work on the first book is done.

Now I’m digging into the other revisions for Book 2, having cleared my slate of everything else but the day job. (Let’s not even talk about the mental gear switching that takes place when I go to work every day and have to think about teaching instead of these books!) I’m trying not to worry about next spring, when I’ll need to finish writing Book 3 while gearing up for promotions on Book 1.

If my publisher picks up their option for two more books, this super-fast treadmill of multiple, overlapping projects will continue into the foreseeable future. (To quote George Jetson: “Jane, stop this crazy thing!”)

If they pass, the treadmill will come to a grinding halt. Of course, I’m hoping for the George Jetson thing. Crazy or not!

25 comments:

  1. Dianne when we write for ourselves, we don't feel these same bouts of panic. Unless people participate in NaNo, there are no deadlines. I feel for you because I know how much time, attention, and energy teaching takes. Good luck! I'm excited for the book's release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa! Sometimes I feel like I need two separate brains to cope with the two separate careers!

      Delete
  2. A crazy kind of awesome!! It's amazing what we can do though under pressure. I can imagine how hard it would be to switch gears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what the worst part is, Laura? While I'm at school, I keep thinking about things I need to do for writing. And when I get home, I can't settle down to write, because I'm thinking about school!

      Delete
  3. Ah yes... This sounds familiar. I must admit that I kind of love the insanity, but boy can it be stressful! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, It is VERY exciting -- except for the panic-stricken moments when I worry about not being able to do it all.

      Delete
  4. It does sound crazy, but worth it, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt -- Fingers crossed that it is worth it in the end!

      Delete
  5. Yep, there are so many things that you just aren't away of until after the publishing deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That said, you also need to keep in mind that everyone's experience at this stage will be different among individuals.

      Delete
    2. Every deal is different -- every publishing house -- every editor! But I think the schedule is almost always pretty tight for a series.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing about your process and the stress of deadlines. That is one thing that scares me the most--writing on deadline while working full-time. I already write so slow. I'd have to clear everything else like you have to get it done. Hope you get the 2 other deals because I know you'll be able to handle it and can't wait to read more books from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie -- so far, I manage to get it all done, but sometimes I worry that I'm going to mess up big time and fail to do something really important!

      Delete
  7. You amaze me. Just writing and teaching is intense. This is incredible!! Go, Dianne, go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline -- Teaching has gotten REALLY intense this year. Frankly, the teaching is more stressful than the writing deadlines at this point.

      Delete
  8. Well, you certainly know how to get your readers' adrenaline flowing!

    I hope the next two books get picked up. I can't wait to read about Jax and his adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael -- I'd like to get you an ARC for Middle Grade Mafioso if I can ...

      Delete
  9. Ooo, I'm intrigued by the idea of having a secret 8th day to get things done. That would be great for a writer's survival kit! You seem to be getting things done without that extra day, though. Sometimes the busier you are, the more you get done because there's no time to even think about procrastinating. Good luck and keep it up, Dianne!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, very true! The less time I have, the more carefully I ration it.

      Delete
  10. I can't wait to read this series! The whole switching gears thing is really tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee!
      As for switching gears, it takes a real effort to turn one thing off when I have to concentrate on another. Makes my head hurt!

      Delete
  11. Wow! Talk about a sense of accomplishment when all this has passed. I guess meeting a deadline doing something you love is far better then meeting a deadline for something your heart is not into. It sounds like you got this. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jared, you got it! And sadly, there is an awful lot happening in the field of education that my heart is not into -- that goes against my philosophy of teaching, in fact. So the writing, even under deadline, is my consolation.

      Delete
  12. I'm always impressed with how efficient you are, Dianne! Although I still suspect you really do have that secret extra day, or maybe year... Here's hoping they pick up the next two books.

    You already know I want an arc and an interview. Or you could do a guest post on my blog (which is all about MG, just sayin').

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You betcha, Joanne!
      I mean about the book promotion. I am not admitting to having a secret day. ;)

      Delete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!